- Many of your skin issues, including acne, could be related to hydration
- The first step to healthy skin is incorporating a few of the most hydrating skincare ingredients into a daily routine
- In addition, make sure to drink enough water and use a humidifier as needed!
This might sound like an oversimplification, but the answer to many of your skin issues could be hydration. Dry skin, redness, wrinkles, even acne can all be exacerbated by dehydrated skin. Even if hydration is not the only and only cure, it certainly is true that without proper hydration, you can’t expect your skin to be healthy and at its best.
I have spent a lot of time and money on products, lasers, peels, facials and more trying to get my acne prone skin under control. Based on my acne, I knew I had oily skin. But I I was surprised when my dermatologist told me my skin was dried out, which was leading to more acne. My dehydrated skin was making my acne worse by:
- Causing an excess build up of dead skin cells that in turn was clogging my pores;
- Causing my pores to break open letting acne causing bacteria deeper into my skin; and
- Triggering the production of more oil to counteract the dryness which then just was leading to more clogged pores and eventually acne!
It was daunting at first to think I had to fight dehydration on top of my acne. However, my dermatologist made it simple for me by recommending a few key hydrating ingredients to look for in skincare products. Below are some of the most hydrating skincare ingredients in the market today:
- Hyaluronic Acid – is a powerful humectant that binds up to 1,000x its own weight in water and keeps your skin deeply hydrated and plumped up at every level. It’s also found naturally in the body so unlikely to cause any irritation to the face when used. Found in the Soffli 16% Vitamin C Serum and Detox + Hydrate Facial Sheet Masks.
- Ceramides - which are naturally occurring, are long chains of lipids (fats) that are major components of skin’s outer layers and help skin retain moisture, fortify its protective barrier, and keep its appearance firm and plump.
- Glycerin - is a power house humectant found naturally in skin that draws moisture into the skin to keep it well-hydrated and balanced. Not as glamorous as some of the newer and hotter ingredients, but it gets the job done and something you definitely want to have in your everyday skincare products. Found in the Soffli Gentle AHA Toner and Detox + Hydrate Facial Sheet Masks.
- Squalane - is a lipid (fat) that is naturally found in the skin) and helps moisturize skin deeply while replenishing fatty acids and antioxidants to support the natural outer barrier of the skin. Unlike heavy oils, it absorbs easily into the skin without the heavy feeling.
In addition to making sure you’re incorporating some of the most hydrating ingredients into your daily regimen, make sure you also drink enough water throughout the day. Lastly, if you ever find yourself in a dry-air environment (whether because the A/C is too strong or the heater is drying up the air), consider using a humidifier so your skin doesn’t dry out.
Adhering to this hydration trifecta of hydrating skincare products, drinking enough water and avoiding dry air should keep your skin well-hydrated and healthy.